information on the Islands
Map Of The
Toronto Islands / Toronto
Island Bird Species / Toronto
Island Ferry Info
The Toronto Islands were not
always Islands but were a series of sandbars originating from the
So named for
the first family to live year-round on the Island. The island was
transferred from the federal government to the City of Toronto in 1867. The
city of Toronto divided the island up for cottage, resort and amusement use.
The island was once home to an amusement park and a baseball stadium that
seated 10,000 (which burned down a year after being built). In 1937 the
amusement park was demolished to make room for the Toronto Island Airport.
The Gibralter Point Lighthouse which was 52 feet high when built in 1808 was
raised to 82 feet high in 1832. Before the rebuilt in 1832 the lighthouse
was fitted with a whale-oil-lantern. In 1815 the lighthouses first keeper
disappeared. A skeleton was found a short time later and since then the
lighthouse has been though to be haunted.
Once filled with the summer homes of some of Toronto's wealthiest families.
Now home to the Centreville Amusement park and the Toronto Island Marina.
Those wishing to get married on the island might consider the St.
Andrew-by-the-Lake Anglican church. Built in 1884 the church still
Eucharist every Sunday at 10:00am. The Island offers some of the best
So named after
the first family to live on the Island in 1830. Home to the wards hotel from
1882 to 1966 when it was demolished due to
deterioration. Now home to a fairy dock, baseball field, soccer field
and a beach.
The Toronto Islands also have a few smaller
Islands. The Algonquin Island, The Snake Island and The Olympic Island.
Toronto Island Cruises
A great way to see the Islands is from the water, come take
a Toronto Island Cruise with us! The Jubilee Queen Cruise Ship is one of the
largest ships in the harbour that can travel down long pond and around
forestry island giving you the ultimate view of the Toronto Islands.
Weather Permitting &
Subject To Change